You will be using this module activities booklet to complete the practice activities for submission.
Unless indicated otherwise by your teacher, use the rubric that follows the activity.
Instructions: Download the Module 2 Booklet
- Open the Module 2 Booklet that contains your practice activities.
- Save the completed PDF document to your course folder. You will be using this booklet to complete all the practice activities in this module.
- At the end of the module, you will upload your completed module booklet. (HINT: see the Activities video if you need a refresher on how to use the upload tool.)
Cats and dogs need food, water, shelter and care. To satisfy those needs, they need people to look out for their welfare and make an effort to learn how to handle and care for them properly. Responsible care of cats and dogs doesn’t just involve knowledge of their basic physical requirements. It also requires a commitment to ensuring their welfare 24 hours a day, and 365 days a year.
In this module, let’s start by exploring some of the basic physical needs of cats and dogs. Next, we will move on to the skills you will need to provide for those needs. Finally, we will address some of the legal protections that exist to ensure an animal’s health and well-being.
As you move through the module, try to keep these questions in mind:
- How does knowledge of cats’ and dogs’ physical needs help me better understand the animal?
- What are the three most important skills I should have to care for a cat or dog?
- What laws protect animals?
By successfully completing this module you will:
- Brainstorm a list of your cat’s or dog’s basic physical care requirements. (Activity 2.1)
- Create a checklist of what to do on a daily, weekly or monthly basis to care for your cat or dog and describe how the different seasons might affect the daily, weekly and monthly areas of care for your pet. (Activity 2.2)
- Describe how job requirements outlined in a job advertisement reflect the skills required for the job, and how you might relate your skills to one such posted job position. (Activity 2.3)
- Describe the importance, difference between and impact of Codes of Practice and legislation on animal care. (Activities 2.4 & 2.5)
Estimated Time Required
It is estimated it will take you approximately 3-5 hours to complete this module.