Option 1: Inspection Criteria Checklist Form
Create an “Inspection Criteria Checklist Form” that guides the evaluation of a domestic animal environment. This form will identify criteria, or ‘what to look for’ when inspecting a domestic animal’s environment. Organize your form to include the following :
- Criteria for inspecting four main areas of animal husbandry and care in the environment:
- Capability to monitor animal physiology and vital signs
- Safe and clean shelter or housing
- Allowance for movement
- Avoidance of stress
- A rating scale or rubric that specifies what has to be present and evident in each of these four areas to demonstrate best animal husbandry practice,
You may choose to create your profile / portfolio in a format such as those listed below or develop your own:
A scripted audio podcast,
A simple personal webpage design,
A summary ‘portfolio’ document.
A series of PowerPoint slides.
Option 2: An Ideal Living Space
Create a design for an ideal living space for a domestic animal. Ensure that your design demonstrates best practice and standard of care in the following three aspects:
- Access to facilities that provide for basic physical needs, including food, water, and sheltering, grooming and regular care
- Space to move and encourage natural behaviours
- Things to include or avoid to prevent stress.
You can choose to create the “Ideal Living Space” design in any of the following ways:
As an actual narrated video in a real environment in which you may live or work, OR
Create a storyboard & “script’ to demonstrate a potential animated video in comic or cartoon style. PowerPoint slides or Word document are recommended formats for this.
Option 3: Portfolio
Add to the personal profile you created in AGR 1040 – Equine. Organize your profile to highlight the following new skills:
- The importance of skill of ‘observation’ in monitoring behaviour, movement and posture, vital signs, body condition and body functions
- How your knowledge of your animal’s physiology and normal behaviour helps you practice good animal restraint
- How you avoid or prevent stress.
Your portfolio can be in one of the formats below or in a format that you design:
A brochure document,
A two-to-three minute podcast,
A design for a “new” webpage or Facebook page on responsible horse care.