The Care of Geriatric Horses
Specialized care is required for geriatric horses in order to meet their nutritional requirements and address any aging health concerns. Weight loss or failure to maintain appropriate body condition in the face of perceived adequate feeding strategies are common problems in geriatric horses. Some geriatric horses may require specialized feed rations.
Causes of weight loss or poor body condition in geriatric horses, include:
- underfeeding or giving feeds of insufficient nutritional content
- reduced feed intake (e.g. due to competition for feed)
- inability to eat (e.g. due to painful dental problems)
- lack of appetite due to health conditions
- increased nutrient requirements (e.g. due to health conditions)
If owners observe signs of weight loss or poor body condition in geriatric horses, they should determine the cause and take corrective action.
Take a few minutes to complete the Practice Quiz on the Care of Geriatric Horses below. When you are done, proceed to the next item here in the online course.