Module 3 Activities
You will be using this module activities booklet to complete the practice activities for submission.
Unless indicated otherwise by your teacher, use the rubric that follows the activity.
Instructions: Download the Module 3 Booklet
- Open the Module 3 Booklet that contains your practice activities.
- Save the completed PDF document to your course folder. You will be using this booklet to complete all the practice activities in this module.
- At the end of the module, you will upload your completed module booklet (HINT: see the Activities video if you need a refresher on how to use the upload tool.)
As with any sentient beings, horses can experience distress, pain and fear. Responsible horse owners must be aware of the signs of illness or distress in order to effectively monitor health on a regular basis. Responsible horse owners must be aware of the signs of illness or distress in order to effectively monitor health on a regular basis.
Responsible horse owners also raise and work with horses by balancing requirements for the horse’s care with their ability to provide those requirements. They know that horses that are properly cared for are more productive. They realize that, more than just a regular supply of food and water, adequate shelter and appropriate equipment is also necessary to ensure a horse’s well-being and health.
In this module we will focus on answering the following three questions:
- How should horses’ health and well-being be monitored and protected?
- How do legislation and codes protect animal welfare?
- In what conditions should horses live and be housed?
By successfully completing this module you will:
- Brainstorm a list of actions that you think a horse owner should perform for their horse OR create your own checklist identifying actions that you take on a regular basis to ensure that your horse stays healthy. (Activity 3.1)
- Complete an animal observation exercise. (Activity 3.2)
- Complete a veterinary care exercise. (Activity 3.3)
- Identify a disease that can affect your horse and describe how this disease can impact care. (Activity 3.4)
- Design and / or critically analyze a living space for your horse. (Activity 3.5)
- Reflect on strategies you can implement to protect and maintain the health of a horse. (Activity 3.6)
Estimated Time Required
It is estimated it will take you approximately 3-4 hours to complete this module.