What occupations interest you?
Let’s start by taking a minute to dream a little,…
If you are interested in working with animals, you have endless opportunities to turn your passion or interest into a career. Although working with animals can involve long hours and can be physically demanding, it can be very rewarding and satisfying. Working with animals may place you in a variety of settings and with a range of different animals – careers can involve raising animals on a farm, grooming dogs, working as a veterinarian or animal health technologist (AHT), looking after animals in a boarding kennel, animal shelter, pet store or research lab, training guide dogs or even taking care of animals in a wildlife park.
Activity 1.1 – What Interests You?
Take a few minutes to explore and think about career possibilities by completing the activity found in the Module 1 Booklet. The best answers are those for occupations that would interest you most! Pick what you would like best!
- Begin by exploring careers and occupations related to animals on the ALIS website. Search occupations by using the search term “animals.”
- Check the ‘Careers with Animals‘ item on the Alberta SPCA Education website.
- When you have spent a few minutes on steps 1 and 2 above, open your Module 1 Booklet (found in the previous topic “Intro & Practice Activities”
- Use the columns in the table to list three occupations that interest you most. Then summarize the duties, personal characteristics and how your interests, skills, beliefs, etc. would suit each occupation.
- Save PDF document to your course folder.