Horse training is an important part of interacting with a horse.
Humane horse training and riding skills ensure safety for horses and people. An understanding of riding equipment, natural and artificial training aids and appropriate riding skills and practices ensure that a horse’s welfare is protected. In this module, we will explore humane horse training, tack and training equipment, and the use of natural and artificial aids.
Safely and humanely training horses involves appropriate use of equipment and natural strategies and practices. How do natural and artificial training aids help you communicate effectively with your horse?
By successfully completing this module, you will be able to:
- Understand how to train your horse safely.
- Identify different tack and training tools and their function.
- Demonstrate the use of natural and artificial aids.
- Reflect on aspects of horse training.
- Analyze and demonstrate riding skills.
- Practice visualization and goal-setting techniques.
This course contains many activities to help you learn and test your knowledge of the concepts taught in each module. The activity booklets contain instructions for each activity. You should save the activity booklets to a portfolio or course folder on your computer. You may want to reference the work you do in the activity booklets for your final project for the course.
At the beginning of each module, download the activity booklet for that module to your portfolio folder. Most of the activities have active fields that you can use to input your responses. ENSURE YOU HAVE THE CURRENT VERSION OF ADOBE READER INSTALLED. (Need Adobe Reader? Click here.)
Your work will be assessed by your teacher. Unless indicated otherwise by your teacher, use the rubric which accompanies the activity.
- Create a folder for the AGR 3070 course on your computer. This is where you should save all your module booklets.
- Download the Module 5 Booklet to the AGR 3070 folder you just created.
- When you get to a place in the online module where you are supposed to complete an activity:
- Open the module booklet you saved in your course folder,
- Scroll to the relevant activity,
- Complete the task,
- SAVE your work.
At the end of the module, you will upload your completed module booklet. (HINT: see the Activities video if you need a refresher on how to use the upload tool.)
Estimated Time Required
It is estimated it will take you approximately 4 hours to complete this module.