How should you handle your horse?
Appropriate horse handling skills ensure safety for horses and their handlers. These skills include understanding equine behaviour and the importance of regular grooming and foot care. You will demonstrate techniques for handling and transporting a horse. You will also demonstrate your understanding of foot cleaning and grooming practices.
Horse handling refers to the techniques used to manage and care for a horse. Horse handlers and riders need to observe and listen to their horses. How can your horse’s safety and well-being be improved through humane handling techniques?
By successfully completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe safe approach and handling practices.
- Identify risks and hazards associated with handling horses.
- Identify horse behaviour that indicate fear and stress.
Your work will be assessed by your teacher. Unless indicated otherwise by your teacher, use the rubric which accompanies the activity.
- Create a folder for the AGR 2070 course on your computer. This is where you should save all your module booklets.
- Download the Module 6 Activities booklet to the AGR 2070 folder.
- When you get to a place in the online module where you are supposed to complete an activity:
- Open the module booklet you saved in your course folder,
- Scroll to the relevant activity,
- Complete the task,
- SAVE your work.
At the end of the module, you will upload your completed module booklet. (HINT: see the Activities video if you need a refresher on how to use the upload tool.)
Estimated Time Required
It is estimated it will take you approximately 3 hours to complete this module.